Hello all,
Just some thoughts about this particular summer.... First, let me tell you how my summer usually goes: Mission trip; Centrifuge; Family Vacation; gardening and just some heavy duty playing. Summertime usually is a busy, but very fun and refreshing time for me.
This year, summertime will be different!!
Physically, I don't think I will be strong enough to do the things I am used to doing. Still trying to decide what to do about the New Orleans trip; and know that Centrifuge (a Youth camp) will probably be out of the question. I know that physically, I must 'take care' of myself. But, what does that really mean? Does it mean sit out and miss the life that is going around me? Does it mean give in to a little tiredness? Does it mean if I feel like it GO? So much that is up in the air!!
Emotionally, it is very difficult for me to admit that I really probably will miss both trips this summer, along with gardening and the other things that we 'do' each year. We've been in Blairsville for 11 years.... and for 11 years I've gone on youth trips each summer. Even when the children were much smaller and it made sense to stay home, I went!!
This summer will also be different than any other because of this stupid battle with breast cancer. June 14, I will FINISH chemo!! (I will continue the drug Herceptin until March.) I also will (hopefully) have surgery the week of July 5. (THis will be to replace the tissue expander (implant) that had to be removed earlier). So, I have different things to tend to this year. Just not the things I'd LIKE to be tending to!!
On top of these things to ponder; I have begun collecting fluid on the same left side again. I have been drain tube free for 2 glorious weeks, and in just a few short days have begun to produce fluid again. Not sure what she (the dr.) will do about that, or how it will affect upcoming surgery. I have an appointment Monday, June 7. I'll know more then! I should also find out about surgery at this same appointment.
So.... I"m not quite sure what I am supposed to learn from all this. I have tried to be quiet; tried to listen; tried to do what I'm told. It seems that I have taken 2 steps forward and at least 3 steps back for quite some time!! And, basically, I am just ready for this to be OVER!!!!!
Please do not get me wrong. I have a lot to be thankful for, and I am thankful!! This battle could be a LOT worse, and I realize that. I have not been sick; I have a very good prognosis; I have a great support system; the end is in sight (well, with chemo anyway); and many other things. I am very thankful and remind myself constantly of other battles I hear about that are much worse than mine!! But it is still discouraging sometimes.... and this happens to be one of those times.
So, let me encourage you to LIVE LIFE!! If you have an opportunity to do something... DO IT. You just never know if you will have another chance or not!! We are not promised tomorrow! It is easy to get caught up in the routine of 'life' but are we really living when we do that? When is the last time you decided to meet up with friends and not mow the yard? Or, what if your kids ask you to play a game... are you too busy? What about a trip you've been wanting to take? What is stopping you? Is there someone you are angry with? Do you remember why? How about stopping for no reason and getting an ice cream? WHy not? Dessert first? OF COURSE!!!
LIVE YOUR LIFE this week. Take your head out of the routine and do something out of the ordinary that is fun!! Life is too short not to!!!!!
Until next time.......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Praying for you Krista. I'm sure this is a challenge like nothing you have ever experienced. I only know it 2nd hand, but I know it is very, very hard.
ReplyDeleteI love you.
Leah
Krista, Thank you for your encouragement to me, even during the midst of your trials! You will never know, this side of heaven, how you touch the lives of so many people. Praying for your doctor's appointment and safe travel today, as well as decisions to be made in the coming weeks. Love and prayers, Shelby
ReplyDeleteYou are in my thoughts and prayers each day. You strength in God is an inspiration for me whom complains so. Thanks for being His servant.
ReplyDeleteDear Krista- Centrifuge and New Orleans are BOTH missions. Your current mission is different. God has a plan for each of us that changes with time. You have been such an inspiration to me. You ARE about the Father's business, just in a different way!
ReplyDeleteThanks again for sharing!
Love & Prayers! Phillis
Hey Ya'll.... I had a good (I guess) appointment today with the Plastic Surgeon. She drained 200cc of fluid from the affected area and thinks that perhaps there is a 'small' infection that is the cause of the fluid. I am on antibiotics now, and she is sending the fluid to the lab to see what is going on.
ReplyDeleteNo surgery can be scheduled until we see what is going to happen with this fluid stuff. If the area is NOT swollen next week when I go back, we can/will schedule surgery then.
This collection of fluid will NOT keep us for proceeding with the already planned course of action (re-installing the implant, etc)... just a question of when (because of the fluid.
Thanks for your prayers!! I am praying that there IS a slight infection and THAT is the cause of this fluid and that in a few days it will all be a thing of the past!!! (FLuid and all!!)
Keep on trucking sister! You are amazing and I love you! Jenny "Texas Queen"
ReplyDeleteKrista you are wonderful! I check in from time on here and pray for you often. I'm sorry to hear that your reality will change your typical plans for the summer. Thanks for sharing what God is teaching you through this because it has helped me as well. Praying for you!
ReplyDeleteCaroline Thomas