Monday, May 3, 2010

Signs of a Warrior

I have often said I am at battle.  A stronger word for that is war.  I find myself feeling like that more and more.  Webster defines warrior as: "One who is engaged aggressively or energetically in an activity, cause, or conflict. " 


This so describes this season of my life!!  Everywhere I turn, I feel I am literally fighting for something.  Mostly health related, but other areas as well.


Those of us who are Bible readers see that there are great battles and wars contained within those pages from beginning to end.  The world has never been without war!!


Personal warfare seems to be a little different than having an army to fight alongside you.... or is it really?


What makes a good warrior?  What traits must be present?  What is the character of an effective warrior? Is it an honor to be called warrior?  Are you a good warrior?  Am I?


I do not have the answers to all those questions, but I will tell you what I've learned.  Then, I will give you a brief update from my appointments today!


A while back I was listening to a bible study on this subject.  I'd always heard about 'personal battles' but this kind of put it in a different light.


Did you ever realize that:
~ A warrior must exhibit courage.  Courage seems to be the lack of fear to some, but really it is acting in spite of our fear.  (Just think how scary it would be to enter into battle during Biblical times!!!)
~ A warrior in Bible times would bring back the shield used to present to the king.  This shield was most likely a big piece of wood, much like a modern day door.  It was used to collect and shield the soldier/warrior from the firey darts aimed at his body.  So, the ones who would present the king with a scarred shield showed they were really involved in the battle.  The ones who presented these scarred shield were held in higher esteem than those who had no scarring on their shield!  It really was looked at with shame to present the king with an unscathed shield.  Let that one sink in!!
~ Much like a warrior of Biblical times, we also enter into battle upon occasion.  Our battle looks much different, however, the principal is still the same!  We have a shield.  Ephesians 6 outlines the Armor of God; and part of that is the Shield of Faith.  Which means when we ARE in battle, this shield will bear the brunt of the firey darts the Enemy fires our way.  Also, just as the soldiers of old, we must present our shield to the King.  What if we have an 'empty' shield to present.  What does that tell Him about our faith?  Were we actually engaged in this battle, or did we hide?


From another recent sermon I heard, I learned that (well, I was reminded) life is risky!  Because of the sin of Adam and Eve; just living has turned out to be risky.  In this sermon, the point was that we have become a bunch of pansy Christians that avoid risk at all cost.  But, we were NOT CALLED to do this. This is why we have so many unhappy Christians in the world.  Those people we read about in the Bible risked it all to follow our Savior, and we risk close to nothing.  Everything worth doing involves risk of some kind.  So, when we risk nothing, we collect no firey darts, therefore have an empty shield to present to our King.  What a shame!!


In my particular case, I must decide if I am willing to risk stepping out on a limb and trusting (excercizing my faith) and collecting the firey darts that seem to be in rapid fire headed toward me!!  OR, do I risk nothing and run from the opportunity to grow in my walk with Him?  Collect the darts, or run from them!  That is the choice we have each day!!


There is another verse that I've been reminded of and it says: Galatians 6:2 
Being a follower of Christ doesn't just mean having your own spiritual burden lifted from your shoulders by Christ. It means actively seeking out those who need help, and shouldering their burdens with them. Service to others is a critical part of the Christian faith.  (NIV)

This is huge!!  In warrior language: This means that I am NOT in battle alone, and neither are you!!  WOW!!! This service comes in many different forms.  It could be bringing a meal (which so many have done); it could be carting me to and from appointments (which many have braved); it could be kind words of encouragement (which so many of you have done); it could be distracting me from the 'junk' that goes with this with a laugh; it could be prayer (which SO many of you have done); it could be sweeping my floor (which has been done, and continually is done); it could be loving on my family; it could be smiling; it could be treating me 'normally'; it could be planting flowers in my yard so that I can be reminded of what wonderful friends I have; it could be a card in the mail or it could be none of these things!!  It does NOT mean that EVERYONE has to 'serve me'.... it means that you must SEEK what the Lord wants of you and be obedient!  
Basically, this means that with anyone you meet.... you must form some type of relationship so that you are aware of the battle/war this person is facing and then help them fight it!!!  For each battle this will look different.  And, it involves risk on your part!!  Are you willing to risk getting to know someone?  Are you willing to risk your time in order to serve them?  Are you willing to risk really knowing what it means to serve them?  What exactly are you willing to risk?  And, what is the pay off for you?  Coming closer to Christ!!  Sounds like a win/win situation to me!!!

So, this is what I am basically saying here:
~You will be at war at some point.  WHen you are, your responsibility is to collect the firey darts!!  when you aren't, your responsiblity is to shoulder the burden alongside those you know are in battle!!
~It involves risk.
~The payoff is so worth it.  My opinion is that this is the abundant life that Jesus came to give us. (I come to give you life, and life abundantly. John 10:10)  

So, let this soak in.  "Smoke on it" as Chris would say then, ask how that looks in your life!!!!

 Here is the update from today's appointments:
~ Chemo #4 is history!!  2 treatements to do.  Something like June 14 is my LAST scheduled treatment!!!! YEEE HAAA~ (there is another drug that I will take until the first of March next year, however, it is not a 'toxic' drug and has no side effects!!  Just extra 'insurance')
~Plastic surgeon appointment went ok.  I did not get the results that I wanted, but I am on the way to healing!  Because of the difficulties with the leaky incision and the drain tube; the decision was made that the expander (implant) had to come out.  This procedure was done in the office and I am in no pain.  This will allow this area to heal completely and wholly.  After I am finished with Chemo, she will put this expander (implant) back in and we'll start from square one.  This will put me about 5 months behind and that is not the end of the world, but I was so hoping to have this whole process finished by this time!!  She still is unsure why this has happened, and really has done everything she knows to do (the doctor, I mean).  She, too, was frustrated and apologized, but is concerned for my health and well being and in the long run, this is the best decision.
I am having a hard time with this; and will adjust to the even further changes in my body.  But, am still trying to get my head wrapped around all this.  It caught me off guard today, for some reason.  (I knew this would be the next step IF this other stuff didn't work, just didn't expect it today!!)
~My blood counts were good this morning, and my 'borderline' anemic status is improving.

Thank you all for your prayers and continued support in this war.  Most of all, thank you for fighting with me.

Until next time.....

6 comments:

  1. OK Sister, you ask: "What makes a good warrior? What traits must be present? What is the character of an effective warrior? Is it an honor to be called warrior? Are you a good warrior? Am I?"

    So let me tell you what I think....YES, YOU ARE A WARRIOR, AN AMAZING ONE!!!!! Your name and picture should be next to warrior in the dictionary....

    I have seen you go through pretty much any situation that has come up in your life and I always knew you were a strong woman, but good gracious, you have let me see you are even more strong, WARRIOR LIKE, than I ever thought.

    I can only hope/pray/wish to be as strong a woman as you. You are such an inspiration to me (and I'm sure MANY others).

    But please remember it's alright to have a 'bad day'.

    I love you my dear sister & best friend and could not live my life without you!

    Keep fighting and I'll be right there beside you, every step of the way. ~~Hugs & Kisses ~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Proverbs 31 woman is described in verse 10 as "a wife of noble character". Noble character is translated from the same word as man of valor in Judges 6:12 (KJV) So a wife of noble character translates into a woman of valor, a brave and valiant hero. You are a woman of valor. You are brave and a valiant hero.

    And while you are fighting this battle in the earthly realm, remember that Jesus is battling for you in the heavenly realm.

    Fighting with you,

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I just say "ditto" to everything Keri said? The book of James has become one of my favorites, and I will quote: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
    Warriors have learned PERSEVERANCE the hard way--by sticking with the battle. We're proud of you, little warrior! Keep trusting the ONE who gives you victory!
    We love you bunches and send hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this absolutely Too Cool!God's word is soooo relative if we just listen with our spirit.
    LOVE YOU
    Tami T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christian, wife, mother, friend, teacher, comedian...these are the descriptions I would use to describe you. Who knew bundled in there would be the word....warrior? Sister, that certainly describes you now!! Fierce warrior I would say! Keep up the battle friend. Your shield is scarred...your King is proud. I love you friend and Queen! Hugs from Texas, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you Miller!
    Hope that you have a great weekend!
    RJ

    ReplyDelete