Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Beginning of this Journey....

Early in December '09, I visited my OB/GYN for my yearly check up, already knowing a lump had developed in my breast.  The doctor confirmed my fear, and ordered a Mammogram.   This was my first one!  I know you are supposed to have them yearly beginning at the age of 40, but, I am JUST 42~   Also at this time, the OB/GYN referred me to a surgeon, a breast specialist.

Going to the surgeon armed with the results of the mammogram, she did an ultrasound and biopsy (in the office!) to have some conclusive answers as to what exactly was going on in my body!!  This visit with her was December 9, 2009.

On Tuesday, December 15 the doctor called with the pathology results:  I am confirmed to have breast cancer.  I am told I have the most common type and it is very treatable.  There is a very high likelihood that we'll 'get this taken care of' and never have additional problems.

From this phone call, I was sent to have a CT, bone scan and MRI done to assure us this has not popped up anywhere else!!

On December 23, I had a follow up meeting with the surgeon to get scan results, and further information about the specific kind of breast cancer that I've found myself with.  All scans are clear!!  Praise be to the Father!!!  Specifically, I have invasive ductal carcinoma that is HER2 positive.  Treatment options are wide open at this point and I would have some major decisions to make concerning the method of treatment.

December 29:  I had an appointment with a plastic surgeon to find out more information about a mastectomy, should I decide to take that option.  This was a nice lady, but neither Chris or I felt like she was good 'fit' for me (us).  After this appointment, I called the Breast Care Center at Northside Hospital in Atlanta, thinking if they happened to have an opening, we could go on down that afternoon.  They had a cancellation for the following day (12/30).

December 30:  Had an appointment with the breast specialist at Northside, and fell in love with her.  She sat with us for the longest time talking and answering our questions.  I will be going to her for the duration until God shows me not to!!  At the end of that appointment, she was to have an appointment set up with a plastic surgeon thru Northside.  That appointment is Thursday, January 7............

Currently, that is the information we are working with!

I would ask that you pray for our family as we are on this journey together!  Specifically, I ask for prayer for me and Chris that we will have the wisdom/understanding to make the right choices for my care.  If we can feel confident about those choices, this will be much easier on everyone!!

Please feel free to post encouraging comments, Scripture that you have found helpful, or whatever God leads you to say.  I would ask that you keep your thoughts/words positive, as this will help the most!!

The last comment I have is that this is the beginning of my journey and I know I have a little way to go.  Already, I can see how the hand of the Great Physician is working, and I have no doubt that will be the case as I am on this path.  My prayer continues to be that He will show himself MIGHTY in and thru this situation.

Thank you for joining me..... thank you for praying, hugging, laughing, joking, crying, whatever it is you are doing to support us as we walk this road.....

7 comments:

  1. Love this idea - thanks for sharing your story
    I'm gonna be praying that this journey will be a blessing to you and others as well
    Our BIG POPPA can use this for HIS GLORY
    Love you
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me be a part of your life. You are in my prayers and remember we are just a phone call away if you or Chris need anything. Love you and your sweet family. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista im very proud of you for being coragious and taking this on as soon as you have. My grandmother also had breast cancer inwhich she had takein out the 24 of december. I have been takeing care of her as much as possible. She is doing great so far, praise the lord. We will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From 1 Corinthians: "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body and in your spirit, which are God's."
    From Proverbs 4: My son (daughter), pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to a man's (woman's) whole body. Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."
    From Psalm 103: Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise His holy name.
    Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits--who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, Who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's."
    Nothing I could add could compare to the promises in God's Word. Just know we love you and are praying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krista,
    wanted you, chris and family to know that we are praying for God's grace and healing for you. we think of yall often and join you in praying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Father God thank you for your care of our sister Krista, we love her and are so grateful
    she was in your loving arms today. Please keep her and her loved ones in your grip for the rest of her journey.

    ReplyDelete